Bantayan island has some of the finest white sand beaches in the Philippines. And if you’re in Bantayan, Sugar Beach Resort is one of the good choices. The resort may not be a five star hotel as they don’t have elegant furniture and lavishly designed rooms; but if you’re after a beautiful white sand beach, you’ll be happy staying at Sugar Beach.
They have a big area which can hold events like company parties. When I went there, there was also a couple who chose the place as their wedding reception. They also have a karaoke room for those who love to sing.
When compared to Moalboal Basdaku, this beach resort is better because the sand in Sugar beach is finer and powdery like polvoron. Aside from that, there are really no rocks in the sea that could hurt your feet when you swim.
For more moments captured in Sugar Beach, click on the images below to enlarge:
Directions and Contact Numbers
At the North bus terminal, near SM, ride a bus going to Hagnaya. The fair is usually 132 pesos but the price may change depending on the season. The last bus stop going to Hagnaya is their terminal and from there, you can also find their seaport. Upon arriving, buy a ticket going to Sta Fe. Here are the schedules of the two shipping lines that you can ride:
To reserve a room in advance, you can contact Sugar beach through these numbers:
Here is a list of their room prices:
Their most affordabe room is the fan room (700 Pesos per night and with own CR). It also has tables and chairs in front of the room so it would be okay if you no longer rent a cottage.
There’s no corkage in Sugar Beach so you can bring your own food. The only drawback here is they don’t have a restaurant nor a canteen. However, you can buy from the market and let their staff cook it for you. The price is 50 pesos per dish. Sometimes, if they have stock you can also buy fish from them.
There are also lots of restaurants in the market where you can eat. One of the bests there is CouCou Bar Restaurant.
Things I Liked About Sugar Beach
- Great beach experience at an affordable price
- The seawater is not that painful in the eye
- Wide white sand shore
- Peaceful surrounding
Things I Didn’t Like About Sugar Beach
- Dogs! I love dogs but I just don’t like seeing them in beach resorts. I never want to see a dog pooping in the seashore as it will just destroy the moment. I think it is NEVER a good idea to take care of and raise dogs in a beach resort.
- Garbage – Although there’s not much garbage there, it’s still sad and frustrating to see few plastics floating on the water and on the shore. They need to require their staff to clean those.
- Since they have a beach resort, it would be sensible if they build a restaurant or even just a canteen. It would be a lot more convenient for guests to just eat there instead of going to the market.
- Bermuda grass on the sand – It’s absolutely okay to have some bermuda grass planted in some parts of the resort. But as you see, the white sand is really nice so I don’t understand why they need to plant bermuda in this part of the resort. I hope they remove it soon.
Things I Didn’t Like About the Other Guests
- I really hate the guests who don’t have discipline and think that it’s okay to just throw their trash and leave their mess anywhere. Bantayan island is a really beautiful place and it will be a big LOSS if it gets destroyed because of garbage. Sugar beach needs to have a strict policy about garbage disposal.
- I don’t see why others see the sea as a large sink. I’ve seen some guests who rinsed their tables after their party. That’s totally gross and disgusting for those swimming at that time. So again, the management needs to have a strict rule about this.
Will I Go Back to Sugar Beach?
The answer is a big YES. The beach resort is really nice and it would be a lot better if they could fix the things I don’t like about it. I had a great time swimming there.
Another resort that you can visit in Bantayan island is Budyong Beach Resort. It’s just walking distance from Sugar beach.